Poem - "Three Songs" by William Shakespeare

"Three Songs" 
by William Shakespeare


Come unto these yellow sands,



And then take hands:

Court'sied when you have, and kiss'd,--

The wild waves whist--

Foot it featly here and there;

And, sweet sprites, the burthen bear.

Hark, hark!

Bow, wow,

The watch-dogs bark:

Bow, wow.

Hark, hark! I hear

The strain of strutting chanticleer

Cry, Cock-a-diddle-dow!



--from The Tempest



Tell me where is Fancy bred,

Or in the heart or in the head?

How begot, how nourishèd?

Reply, reply.

It is engender'd in the eyes;

With gazing fed; and Fancy dies

In the cradle where it lies.

Let us all ring Fancy's knell:

I'll begin it,--Ding, dong, bell!

All. Ding, dong, bell!



--from The Merchant of Venice




Where the bee sucks, there suck I:

In a cowslip's bell I lie;

There I couch when owls do cry.

On the bat's back I do fly

After summer merrily:

Merrily, merrily, shall I live now,

Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.



-from The Tempest